Hamp, Mathews, and Associates
Our hope is to create a culture of inclusiveness, respect, and a team-oriented environment that our employees will rave about. We believe that the needs of our company must match our company’s culture to effectively promote our brand.
We do not hire jerks, plain and simple. The associates that we hire represent our company values even outside of the workplace. As individuals we strive to perfect our craft to be the best that we can through continuing education, training, as well as supporting each other. We are dedicated to giving back to the community and are truly passionate about the role that we all play to ensure continued environmental sustainability.
Our Openness to New Ideas
As we have grown over the years, one core principal remains, everyone that comes on board with us has a voice and the ability to provide new and innovative suggestions, regardless of title. Processes and policies are important for stability and consistency, however there is a much greater need for creative contribution that is not ruled by a hierarchy. Our success is built on talented team members that think outside of the box and are not afraid to share new ideas.
We have identified and are guided by the following 9 Core Competencies:
1. We always focus on customer service, keeping in mind that our “customers” are our clients, colleagues, and vendors. We behave civilly in all circumstances by demonstrating integrity, courteous treatment of others, and appropriate assertiveness. We simply will not tolerate jerks.
2. We insist on quality and timely work products and this expectation applies to each of us. Everyone should produce work that pays attention to detail, is accurate, and is completed on-time.
3. We are conscious of cost without sacrificing quality or timeliness of our work products.
4. We effectively engage in teamwork, taking the lead where appropriate, and delegating to junior staff in ways that maintain our efficiency while advancing their experience and training.
5. We are constantly developing our skills as solid communicators by becoming ever more competent as a listeners, writers, and speakers.
6. We show initiative by being quick to think on our feet – demonstrating smart tactical thinking in our planning, organization, and adaptability so that we can be highly productive in those times that are fast-paced and unstructured.
7. We demonstrate a high-level of leadership by exercising solid judgment and effective decision making.
8. Each of us is continuously learning by acquiring new knowledge and skills and sharing those with the rest of the team.
9. We position ourselves as subject matter experts in such a way that our customer has growing confidence in our effectiveness, regardless of our position in HMA – thus enhancing HMA’s position with the customer.
Rather than a group of employees, we are a team of professionals striving to reach our peak potential. We come from diverse backgrounds with one common goal to continue to solve hard problems and make a difference in our communities and our field. We recognize that while we each have our own area of expertise, working as a team is the best and most effective way to reach our company goals.
Hamp Mathews and Associates objective is to holistically evaluate each facility in the context of:
The hallmark of all successful environmental projects is a planned data collection process. Intended uses of the data depend on the business decisions of interest to the property owner, and how these meld with the regulatory requirements. Focusing on the business decisions precipitates development of sampling designs that will produce data to support them.
Many environmental investigations are designed with an over-emphasis on finding contamination sources. Consequently, several sampling iterations may ensue and generate a wealth of data which may be usable for determining the nature and extent of the issues, but they may not be usable for determining health or environmental risks. The more fundamental question is, “What is the risk and response activity necessary?” Consequently, all sampling efforts must integrate risk assessment considerations into sampling and analysis plans to produce information that effectively and efficiently answers this fundamental question. For most industrial sites, the final response should be a balance of administrative engineering controls with selective remediation efforts to best apply limited company resources.
Unplanned, traditional data collection efforts often simply confirm problems, rather than generate usable information to solve them. Although the data quality objectives (DQO) process developed by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency has existed for several years, consultants rarely consider the DQO process, or implement it correctly.
Understanding the environmental regulatory process is central to formulating appropriate administrative and engineering controls that will support the likely future uses of the property. Only those data that support these objectives should be developed in the “remedial investigation” process. The “remedial action plan” should drive the remedial investigation, rather than the other way around, as is typically seen done. Data collection efforts for decision making at sites of environmental contamination have inappropriately, and likely unintentionally, been misguided by the environmental regulations and administrative rules. Consequently, many consultants continue to implement traditional investigation processes that are of diminished value to the needs of the client.
The value of a rigorously applied DQO approach for our clients is further complimented by our broad regulatory experience. We understand the information that the regulatory agency may want or require and can effectively discern the difference between the two. We provide further value by incorporating this aspect into our decision formulation process. Linking data to decisions and negotiating the interpretation of this information with the regulatory agency facilitates development of workable solutions. These company attributes provide our clients with a clear advantage, which ultimately furthers our client’s credibility and environmental performance.